The Ecological Society for Eastern Africa (ESEA) is an Eastern African, not-for-profit, networking organization, bringing together individuals and institutions participating in ecological research and application of ecological science to development in Eastern Africa.
Member countries are: Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
ESEA is an autonomous, not-for-profit organization consisting of a Board of Trustees appointed pursuant to Article VII.of the Charter document. The organs of ESEA are the Board of Trustees, (BOT) its Executive Committee (EC) and the Secretariat.
The headquarters shall be in any Eastern African country from where it can best achieve its objectives.
VISION, MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
Sustainable development through wise use of of the natural resources for prosperity and future of the peoples of Eastern Africa.
To promote sustainable development through high quality research, education, technological innovations, and information and resource sharing.
The overall objective is to coordinate the collation and dissemination of information relating to ecology in Eastern Africa for sustainable natural resource management and conservation of biodiversity.
- Facilitate exchange of information and provide a link for communication about ecology;
- Contribute to high quality relevant research and promote sustainable utilization of resources;
- Alert, provide policy advice on trans-boundary natural resources and other relevant information;
- Raise regional awareness on ecological issues;
- Encourage the publication and sharing of research results, management and monitoring strategies;
- Promote professional capacity building and enhance technological skills
- Promote ecological considerations in the context of socio-economic development
- Promote communication of best practices through outreach activities
- Encourage green technologies and innovations
- Highlight the use of science and clean technology in solving societal problem.
- Share knowledge through forums and professional communication
- Act as a linkage between and among experts, institutions, networks and other stakeholders concerned with ecological issues in the region;
- Facilitate the mobilization of resources for critical activities in management of natural resources;
- Provide technical guides and manuals on research and management of natural resources for Eastern Africa;
- Advocate science based decision making;
- Recognize and/or Honor individuals, groups, institutions registering remarkable achievement (s) in the field of Environment, Natural Resources and related areas; and
- Carry out any other specific actions that promote achievement of the overarching objective of ESEA.